Sunday, October 28, 2012

Binge Crafting...

Please, tell me I'm not the only one who does this. Has this happened to you, too?  Life gets in the way, and you can't do what you want to do?

There's a long story behind this, but I'll make it as short as I can.  Basically, mid-september through mid-october was a very rough month for me.  Adjusting to being back to work and completing a nightmarish comprehensive exam to hopefully finish my masters degree (that I technically finished three years ago...crossed fingers that I passed!) left little no time for fun. I couldn't even go to my monthly quilt guild meeting!  Days were spent putting on the one woman show that so many refer to as teaching, lunch times were spent preparing materials for said show, afternoons and early evenings (weekends too!) were spent in the library, researching, reading, writing, researching, reading, writing, repeat, and when I finally got home, there was still lesson planning, papers to grade, and all the other work that teachers bring home with them.  My dining room table was an explosion of sticky-tabbed pages, research journals, and professional books.  Two 40-some-odd page papers on two different topics complete with literature review, best practices, and action plan for each.... in 30 days...and I nearly lost my mind.

I. was. cranky.

Cranky actually doesn't even begin to cover it.  I'm really not proud to say, but there were melt downs, temper tantrums, and panic attacks.  I have to give hubby a shout out here and say that I honestly couldn't have done it without him.  He really pitched in and kept the house clean, the hamper empty, and food in the fridge, as well as provided an incredible amount of support and encouragement. (Thank you!)

Needless to say, when this was all over, I had a crafting fit.  I was like the person who ends their diet and immediately eats a pound of chocolate, a bag of chips, a whole pizza, and a dozen cookies.  Binge crafting for sure:

First there was the knitting....

I made mittens and a hat for my nephew out of his namesake yarn. (Aiden by Three Irish Girls)

I made a cowl for myself out of yarn that shares my last name. (Katia Fabula)

I cast on a scarf for my wonderful husband. (Fresh Earth by Three Irish Girls)

I finished my pumpkin picking cowl.

I made one fingerless glove. (Yes, only one).

I started the gorgeous Kilkenny cowl with super soft and squishy yarn, both from an awesome company I found. (Quince & Company- Chickadee in Winesap)

I cast on, and then had to pull out, a mohair wrap that I decided might wait until spring anyway.






Then there was the quilting...

I finally finished my quilts for kids quilt.

I made a car seat quilt for a baby who was due to arrive in just a few days.

I worked on my secret solids project for NewBees.

I started a quilt with the Ruby jelly roll that I have been holding onto since my birthday.

I finally ordered the supplies I need to finish my block of the month course (that I am two months behind on) and got some cutting done.

I made another ugly block for my quilt guild.



Let me just tell you, it felt GOOD. So good.  I want to quit my job and be a professional crafter.  I know that's not going to happen...ever...but a girl can dream....

Now, a hurricane is coming.  I am hoping it will not impact us too badly, but it's not looking good.  It already sounds pretty windy out there, and we are still two days out from the worst. They are predicting 7-10 days of power outages, which will be a nightmare. At least I have plenty of knitting to keep me busy...  hope all my friends along the east coast stay safe this week.  Happy crafting to you!




0 comments:

Post a Comment